my sanctuary.

Thursday, June 10, 2010

From A Faraway Land.

Have too much to say, but twitter only allows me 120 characters. That's when i suddenly remember i own a blog.

My first post from a foreign land. Feels strangely familiar to be back here for the 3rd time. It's sop different to be in the shoes of a trainee vs a Officer. The flight here on business class (benefits of command) was great. Impressive leg room, luxurious seats and a very confortable blanket. Unfortunately comfort was short-lived; within 2 hours i was in Don Muaeng.

Arrived on Friday morning and immediately got to work. Spent the entire weekend recceing the place. Thats an average of 2 rounds around Singapore daily - its huge here. We took the opportunity to exploit the cheap local food and produce. As this place is rural, all shops are roadside; a plate of noodle costs approx $1.20 SGD and a watermelon costs 50cents. Im not even gonna go into the price oif ciggarette and beer.

Our hosts here are extremely hospitable. they are familiar with our training needs and accomodate to us. Communication is a problem though. Other than "turn left, turn rigbt, go straight and where is the toilet", i knew next to NO thai. However, i picked up some key words with the help of a handy guidebook and i can now count from 1 - 99. This helps me to fluently respond when asked of my age. The rank structure here is very different from that of our country's. Im probably the youngest thing around. My Thai driver is 52 (My dad's age) and my liason is 42. Yet they humbly accord me the respect that my rank entails. This forces me to think like a commander, not a teenager. Well, part and parcel of leadership and command.

The weather, however, is much less hospitable. I wake up to a sweat-soaked bedsheet every morning. 1 would sweat even on the way back from a shower. This is despite the daily afternoon showers, which only contributes to the humidity, and not the tem perature. Nevertheless, it did not stop me from climbing eagle hill 6 times this week. i feel fitter already.

1 week down, 11 days to go. Missing the church very much. Its regrettable that im not able to be physically around to stand with the church through trying times. Having full faith in the church and her leadership, looking forward to return to good news. Standing in the gap spiritually from xxxx miles away.

Im proud to wear green, but can't wait for it to be over.

Ending my 50baht/h internet session now. Hope to blog again soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home